Choosing the Right Event Mode
Last updated: December 16, 2020
Microsoft Teams and Teams Live Events are offered as part of the Teams collaboration and communication software. EventBuilder provides several Event Modes to choose from as well, including Streaming and Simulated-Live options. Which mode is the best fit for your event?
Determine Your Event Needs
Setting up a virtual event takes some thoughtful planning. As such, matching the type of event you are planning to the technology and features that fit best is important. With Microsoft and EventBuilder's powerful tools at your disposal, determining the needs for your event and working from that framework can help you decide what technology best aligns with your event and goals.
Some questions to ask yourself:
- Who are my invitees?
- Is my event internal to my organization or external?
- How many attendees am I expecting?
- Are there privacy considerations I need to be aware of?
- Do I need/want a collaborative environment? (desktop sharing, two-way audio for presenter-attendee interaction, etc.)
- What information and data do I want/need to gather about my registrants/attendees?
- Do I need to record the event for later on-demand viewing?
- Can I produce the event on my own, or do I need assistance?
Once you have a clearer focus of your event needs, take the next step and match your needs with the right technology.
Microsoft Teams Meeting/Live Webinar Mode
Certain scenarios fit the best with the standard Teams meeting/Live Webinar mode:
- Smaller events with 50 people or fewer is manageable while maintaining the interactive and collaborative feel of a face-to-face seminar or function.
- Teams Meeting has a max capacity of 300. However, managing a 300-person event in the standard Teams interface is a huge undertaking with the potential for chaos — cross talking, interruption, technical issues, etc.
- Events where invitees are internal to your organization, such as new employee orientation, cross-department training, and team earnings updates, work well in the familiar Teams environment.
- If your invitees are external to your organization, be aware of privacy issues — attendees can see the names of other attendees in the Teams presentation environment.
- For familiarity, ease of use, and flexibility, using Microsoft Teams for webinars and collaborative events is a smart choice when you want a simple, manageable presentation delivery method that allows for screen sharing, whiteboard use, and two-way audio attendee interaction.
What EventBuilder Can Do for Teams/Webinar Mode:
- Custom Registration Pages: EventBuilder's customized Registration pages help organize your webinar/virtual event and enable you to gain event and registrant insights for shaping future event programming.
- Automatic Communication Emails: System-generated emails can be customized and scheduled to send to your Registrants and Attendees for event invites, reminders, and post-event surveys.
- Registration and Attendance Reports: The data EventBuilder collects provides event organizers with comprehensive registrant and event reports. Event when your audience is internal to your organization, registration and reporting can help determine attendance and engagement.
- Event Management: EventBuilder's professional event management services can provide a dedicated Event Producer for your Teams webinar, including technical support, event moderation, and post-event reporting.
Microsoft Teams Live Event For Large Events
Teams Live Events, an integrated feature in Microsoft Teams, offers users an opportunity to produce large events in a one-to-many communication format, like town-hall meetings or company hands-on gatherings. Teams Live Events is a good option when your event is large and you are in need of a platform that can broadcast your event to a wider audience.
- Teams Live Events offers three connection types:
- Selected Groups/People — Only specified people and groups can watch the live event. (Sign-in required)
- Anyone with a verified Microsoft 365 email address at your company (sign-in required).
- Open to anyone — no sign-in required. For when most of the attendees are outside of your organization.
- Teams Live Events offers some unique features, such as split-screen presenter webcam/presentation content view, Q&A panels, and the ability to scale for up to 10,000 attendees.
- Assigning event roles, including Producers, Presenters, and Organizers, helps keep large-scale events organized and well-managed. This can introduce some day-of complications, so it's essential to have well-defined roles and to conduct a rehearsal or practice event.
- There is limited data gathering with Teams Live Events, particularly when events are open to the public, in which case no attendee information is automatically obtained.
What EventBuilder Can Do for Your Teams Live Event:
- Registration: Like Microsoft Teams, EventBuilder can be implemented with Teams Live Events to create customized registration pages, helping Organizers understand the scope of their event and plan for their presentation accordingly.
- Security - EventBuilder provides comprehensive event security options that can be set when building your event in our software. This is particularly helpful for Teams Live Events that are set as 'open to anyone.'
- Reporting: The information collected at the time of registration and via EventBuilder's communication options captures event data and attendee information both pre- and post-event.
- Data Visualization Tools: A new addition to EventBuilder's product line, custom connectors for Microsoft Power BI are now available to help Organizers bring the intelligence gathered from the event to life.
- Event Production/Management: One of the more overwhelming aspects of hosting a large event with Teams Live Events is juggling the organization, production, and presentation, as well as technical aspects of the broadcast and troubleshooting. By offering professional event management, EventBuilder's team of professional event producers can assist your Teams Live Event with event management and support services.
EventBuilder Streaming/Simulated-Live Mode
Available to our Suite subscribers, EventBuilder Streaming offers a no-download, browser-based, any-OS streaming solution for webinars and virtual events. Our streaming solution is an excellent option for larger events when your attendees are external to your organization, and allows Organizers to capture the entire attendee experience from invitation to post-event and beyond.
- EventBuilder Streaming is an excellent option when your event is larger, up to 1500 attendees, but you would also like the ease of Teams’ presentation environment.
- EventBuilder Streaming works well for smaller events where attendees are consuming your content and privacy is a consideration.
- Events aren't limited to four hours, as with Teams Live Events, allowing you to schedule all-day events.
- EventBuilder's bot joins the Teams’ presentation environment and streams to the attendees’ browser-based viewing console.
- One-click entry: attendees are provided a URL with their registration confirmation email, which opens the streaming console.
- Integrated, live Closed Captioning available.
- Attendee interaction with live Q&A, "raised hand," Attendee sentiment, and integrated, real-time polling. See answers to your polls right away.
- Security controls, including allowlist/denylist, validation code, and email verification.
- Cloud-hosted event recordings.