Playing Videos During Your Live Event
Last updated: September 9, 2020
Virtual Events are often multi-media events, with audio and video elements added to enhance content and delivery. EventBuilder has several options for Organizers to add video to their events, and options vary by the selected Event mode. There are three primary video playback options:
Using EventBuilder's Streaming Console
EventBuilder's Streaming Console (for Suite-level subscribers) is a medium for playing video content to your Attendees. Advantages of using the Console for video playback in Event presentations include:
- Viewing experience - Your Attendees will enjoy clearer, sharper playback.
- Multi-use - Uploaded videos are hosted and stored in your Organizer file repository, making it easy to play the video on other Events.
- Recording - Videos on recorded Events are higher-quality, with both audio and video playback.
Uploading Videos To Your Streamed Event
Before uploading a video for playback, please note the following:
- Videos must be in MP4 format.
- Video files must under 500 MB.
- Refer to our File Upload Requirements for more information and file compression options.
From your Portal Dashboard, select 'Files'
This opens your file repository:
Click 'Upload File(s)' and select the MP4 you would like to add. Load time will vary depending on the size of the file.
- We recommend uploading your MP4 file prior to your live event. This ensures the file is queued and ready for playback to prevent delays.
- Important: Because File Repositories are connected to individuals, the person queueing and starting the video playback should be the person who uploads the file. Presenters or Moderators should log into the Portal using provided access credentials and upload their presentation video prior to the Live Event if they will be starting the video during the event..
- Presenters and Moderators should use the Files view on the left Dashboard navigation to upload video, to make it available to play via the Moderator Console during your Event.
- Note: Attaching a video to an Event on the Engage step of the Event build will make it available to Attendees for download.
Video Playback During Your Live Event
If you have uploaded your MP4 to your File Repository, it will be ready for you to add to your Event when you need.
To queue your MP4 for playback, go to the Meeting Controls widget in your Moderator Console:
Select 'Show Video.' The File Repository will open. Then, select the MP4 you wish to play from the list.
Once selected, the video will stream to your Attendees via their viewing console.
What To Expect:
- Video playback occurs in the Streaming Console, not the Teams presentation environment.
- Once finished, the Attendee view will return to the Teams room presentation.
- For the best playback experience for Attendees, mute Presenter/Moderator Teams audio while the video is playing.
Sharing Your Desktop in Teams
Utilizing the desktop sharing feature within Teams will also allow Presenters and Moderators to play video as part of their presentations. This method is available for events created in Webinar mode. While the playback quality isn't as strong, using the desktop sharing option has advantages:
- No upload required.
- If your video file is very large, or is in a format not supported by EventBuilder, the Teams desktop share will by-pass these limitations.
- Note: Be sure to check 'Include System Audio" when playing video via desktop share.
Alternatively, Organizers can upload the video file as an attachment in the Engage section-'Additional Resources' during the Event build, or via the Files widget in the moderator console during the live event. This will make the video available for Attendees to download and watch on their own device.
A third option, Presenters can embed their video presentation materials within their PowerPoint deck. If this is decided upon, we recommend running a rehearsal Event to ensure smooth video and audio playback. The 'Include System Audio' setting applies under these circumstances as well.